Bayview and Lakeview


 Bayview and Lakeview

Bayview and Lakeview
And Other Early Settlements on Southern Lake Pend Oreille

Paperback, $14.95   ISBN 0-9723356-2-5

- Please, Use Only MasterCard or VISA -

Description
Contents
Excerpt
The Author

Order from the Museum
Back to Books Online


Description:

The early history of the towns of Bayview and Lakeview, Idaho, began long before those towns became prominent features on the map of Lake Pend Oreille. The book chronicles the early years of development at the southern portion of the lake, starting with the establishment of Pen d‚Oreille City in 1866, when miners use it as the jumping off place on their way to the gold fields near Fort Steele, B.C. and Helena, Montana. Construction of the Mary Moody, began a period of some 60 or more years that steamers provided the major transportation on the lake, joining the tiny settlements that dotted the shoreline and keeping the sparce population of settlers joined by a common mail route.

The mining town of Chloride sprung to life after Fred Weber and Simon Donnelly staked their first claims, but its existence was short-lived and the nearby town of Lakeview grew to prominence. The Weber family remained a dynamic influence in Lakeview from 1888 until well past the 1940‚s, when this story ends. Lakeview developed into a remote workplace for miners and loggers, as well as a haven for university professors, Spokane families, and avid fishermen. The mining story of the area was only partially dependent on silver, as limestone production at both Lakeview and Bayview became a lucrative business.

Join in the enthusiam of the Prairie Development Company entrepreneurs, who were some of the most notable „fathersš of Spokane, Washington, as they lay out the town of Bayview and promoted its growth as a destination resort. Bayview attracted controvery as to whether D.C. Corbin or F.A. Blackwell should bring in the railroad. Politicians argued about where the county line should be located which separated Kootenai and Bonner counties. The boom never really materialized as the developers probably envisioned, but hard-working, hard-playing residents did settle Bayview and survived through the years of Prohibition and the Depression, working at the mines, farming, and running local businesses.

Step back into history with personal stories of the homestead families who settled the remote stretches of the lake. One chaper is devoted to four delightful accounts of these early inhabitants. Over 100 historic photos and maps add to the understanding of what life was like, and numerous family accounts tell about the people.


topofpage

Contents:

1. Introduction      

1

2. Pend‚Oreille City and Steamboat Landing

7

3. Early Bayview

16

4. Limestone Mining

28

5. The Railroad Comes to Town

35

6. Steamboats on Lake Pend Oreille 

39

7. The People of Bayview

 45

8. Lakeview and Chloride

57

9. Cedar Creek (Clara), Whiskey Rock and Granite Creek

72

10. Profiles of the Time

75

11. Forests and Fires 

106

12. Fishing in the Early Days

 

Appendix

119

Index

123


topofpage

Excerpt from the Book:

The beautiful little bay at the south end of Lake Pend Oreille, known today as Buttonhook Bay, was first settled in 1866. It was called Pen d‚Oreille City (later spelled Pend d‚Oreille City or Pend Oreille City) by Zenas F. Moody who came to Idaho in search of adventure and the lure of a splendid business opportunity. In the 1880‚s the settlement name changed to Steamboat Landing.

Today Buttonhook Bay, nestled in a quiet crook at the end of Idlewild Bay, seems miles away from civilization. Even on a busy weekend when several sailboats and powerboats are moored at the docks and the sounds of happy children diving into the cool waters breaks the silence, there remains a tranquility that harkens back to earlier, simpler times. Boaters know that Buttonhook provides a sanctuary from the sudden and erratic winds that can arise quickly on the lake. There are few safe havens on a lake with such steep shorelines and lofty mountains, and Buttonhook is one of the finest. That fact did not escape people in the past.

Many do not realize that this tiny bay sheltered the second white settlement in all of north Idaho. Pen d‚Oreille City was established to provide a more efficient route to two different boomtown areas of the 1860‚s: the Wild Horse Creek mines near Fort Steele in British Columbia and the Last Chance Gulch mines across the Bitterroot Mountains near Helena, Montana. Miners were rushing to both these locations in search of instant wealth. Businessmen explored ways to capitalize on this good fortune. A group of Portland, Oregon, men had been successfully operating the Oregon Steam Navigation Company (OSN), which controlled the majority of all the steamboat traffic on the Columbia River. They decided to offer a secure and speedy route to the gold fields before competition from either San Francisco or St. Louis could take over the business.

By the 1860‚s transportation of any kind into north Idaho was extremely limited, and it was a daring venture for the officers of the OSN Company to establish a tiny town in the wilderness on a relatively unknown lake, but they were familiar with the ship building business. They had established trade on the Columbia River and had gone upstream as far as Celilo Falls without any difficulty. As more settlers came to the Oregon Territory, the company constructed boats to travel from above the falls to Wallula, near Fort Walla Walla. Then, in a bold move, OSN commissioned Captain Ephraim Baughman and Leonard White to take the steamer Colonel Wright to explore up the Columbia River past Wallula in 1861. Baughman and White made a two-month trip upstream, entered the often churning rapids of the Snake River, and steamed up the Clearwater beyond Lewiston a short distance before turning back. In doing so, they unlocked the door to future transportation potential.

With what turned out to be more corporate zeal than sound business sense, the entrepreneurs of the Oregon Steam Navigation Company decided to construct a new route to the south end of Lake Pend Oreille and build boats on the lake to carry miners and freight to the mining camps. They determined that an established wagon road from White Bluffs on the Columbia, upstream from Wallula some 50 miles, would be the starting point. It became known as the White Bluffs Road. (See maps page 4 and 5.) In a letter to company associates dated September 4, 1865, OSN president Simeon Reed indicated that over 1000 pack animals had left Walla Walla and Lewiston for the Montana mines via the Mullan Road. Reed went on to describe the troubles encountered using the Mullan Road due to its numerous river crossings, fallen timber, and mountain pass and stressed that an alternate way was advisable. He urged the company to capitalize on this new opportunity for trade via the Pend Oreille route which presented fewer obstacles to travel. It traversed the rolling hills of eastern Washington Territory and avoided the Bitterroot range by crossing the lake and steaming up the Clark Fork River.


topofpage

Author:

Linda Hackbarth

Linda Hackbarth fell in love with Bayview and Lake Pend Oreille in 1973 when visiting with friends. An avid sailor, she was searching for a good lake for sailing, now that she had moved to eastern Washington to take an appointment as assistant professor at Washington State University. She bought property in ő75 and built a vacation cabin on Cape Horn.

Linda grew up in Arlington Heights, IL., and received her B.S. degree from Miami University in Oxford, OH. Before heading west for a graduate degree at the University of Oregon, she taught health and physical education in Battle Creek, MI. Following her masters degree, an offer to teach and coach at Shorecrest High School near Seattle lasted for four years before a passion for travel took her to England, where she taught and coached for the Department of Defense at Upper Heyford Air Force Base.

Love of kids brought her back to public school teaching in the Pullman, Washington, schools after leaving WSU, where she completed her career, retiring in 1996. During the 20 years at Lincoln Middle School she moved to a sixth grade teaching position but continued to coach, bringing teams and students to Pend Oreille for camping, sailing, and skiing. Linda accepted a teacher exchange in Mt. Gambier, South Australia for the 1988 school year.

After retiring she moved to her home at Bayview where she remains today. Linda became involved in community activities and in 2000 encouraged others to join her in forming a Bayview Historical Society. Linda was captivated by the stories she heard from area residents. This book is a culmination of three years of research about the early settlements at the southern end of Lake Pend Oreille.

Museum of North Idaho | P.O. Box 812, Coeur d'Alene, ID  83816-0812 | 208-664-33448 | museum@museumni.org   topofpage